In a time when many schools are looking for ways to cut back, often at the expense of music education, Basaric-Ilic shared five reasons she thinks music education is an important addition in the public school system.
Here’s why Basaric-Ilic said music education should be here to stay:
1. Music education should be a part of a general education in everybody’s life.
2. Music is not an isolated area of study. It is always connected to many other subject areas. Through exploring music students can find natural connections to social studies, mathematic, science, reading, writing, visual and other performing arts.
3. Children have many different learning styles. Music provides a way for them to express themselves in a unique way, which motivates their learning and helps build their self confidence.
4. Music is a universal language. It helps children connect to other cultures and understand the world around them.
5. As for another reason that music education is vital to a child's education, Basaric-Ilic quoted Yo-Yo Ma, who she calls "one of the greatest musicians and music educators in the world."
“An education that incorporates the four priorities of making the subject memorable, inspiring passion driven learning, developing a disciplined imagination and fostering empathy will result in citizens who are active participants in shaping a future of which we can all be proud.”